Author(s): Senior assistant Ph.D Stela Stefanova, M. Sc. Radostina Gercheva
Affiliation(s): Technology school “Electronic Systems” (TUES) associated with Technical-University of Sofia (TUS)
Date of publication: January 6, 2016
The Educational Problem
The educational problems were:
1. To gain the contribution and motivation of students;
2. To meet the demands of contemporary professional education for:
- betterment of students’ practical abilities;
- team work on common assignments;
- liabilities allocation for the fulfillment of the common tasks;
- form skills, in students, to assign their own timetable in order to handle specified deadline.
The problem was how to rearrange the Global Networks course in order to:
- reach practice oriented training during the two school terms,
- to acquire knowledge in the domain of global networks, networking protocols and technologies,
- gain better students’ learning achievements.
A specialized course in the field of Global Networks, giving the students the opportunity to obtain:
- practical knowledge in networking;
- ability to use up-to-date professional tools, services and equipment to design networks;
- skills in teamwork;
- knowledge in how to manage their work in terms of tasks and time distribution for fulfilling deadlines;
- ability to present and report their work, considering the problems they face and how they are resolved, or why these problems cannot be resolved.
The practical training of the students in the Global Networks course consists of two major projects during the term, which are made on weekly basis.
The pilots were made with two classes each of them with 29 students – 12 grade classes (15 weeks). The project work was divided to be fulfilled step-by-step with submitting six individual homework assignments, each of these assignments was small part of the project. Each group had to choose theme for the project from a list, provided by the teacher.
All participants had to register individual Google accounts. The teacher was responsible to create a Google Drive folder for each project and share it with the team.
The key successes were:
- Improving collaboration skills in students;
- Deployment project based learning;
- using research and problem solving as a educational tools;
- using contemporary cloud technologies as common environment for cooperation during this course with well-timed, adequate and comprehensive feedback and remark;
- It is collaboration-based and uses enabling and empowering technologies;
- It fosters Contextual learning bridging the disciplines and curriculum areas.
Materials and Links
Presentation materials: Students are provided all materials for lectures and interactive teaching materials
Student documentation and products:
1. Student weekly assignments and projects
2. Student presentations
- Cloud Networks
- Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) Technologies
- Layer 2 and Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)
- Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6)
- Wireless (Wi-Fi) Technologies